I started my career in 1991, moving to Essex from my home in Oxfordshire to pursue my nurse training.
My first role was as Staff Nurse on the children’s ward at Basildon Hospital, moving to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford then Ward Manager, gaining experience of merging services, relocation of specialist patient services and integration into a district general hospital.
At Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow in 2000, I completed a Community Specialist Practice Post Graduate Diploma.
In 2005 I joined Provide, leading the development of services for children and young people with palliative care needs, and leading on several integrated collaborative inter-agency work-streams with the local authority across Essex.
During those 12 years I developed as a leader and found this to be my passion, establishing and developing highly performing teams which have been rated as outstanding by the CQC.
Along with this experience, and successfully completing both an Institute of Leadership and Management Award (Level 5) in 2005, and a Masters in Healthcare Leadership (awarded Merit) in 2016, led me to seek a position in Senior Management where these skills and knowledge would be best utilised, tested and challenged.
Following the death of my father in 2017 in an acute healthcare setting, I wanted to explore other palliative care models which is what drew me to the role of Head of In Patient Services with Havens Hospices. During my first visit. I witnessed first-hand the compassion with which patients were cared which inspired me to apply. After getting the job, a year later I was promoted to the Director of Care and Executive Nurse for the charity, which delivers all age palliative care services.
As head of the nursing profession at Havens Hospices, I am a senior role model for my teams – upholding and demonstrating exemplary behaviours of the code of conduct and leading the development of nursing practice. My focus in on strategically planning for the future of adult hospice care in south east Essex, and for children and young people across Essex.
- Hold overall responsibility for nursing care across Havens Hospices – within the hospices and the community
- Key direct reports covering adult, children and young people, wellbeing and clinical quality.
- Establishing and sustaining effective strategic relationships with statutory, private and public providers of nursing and social care across Essex
- Leader of change and embedding service developments which enhance patient care and experience
- Adapted and delivered care services throughout pandemic to support the NHS and continue essential frontline hospice care
- Executive Nurse accountable to care governing bodies responsible for patient safety and quality
- Registered Manager with the CQC accountable for the delivery of services which are safe, responsive, effective, caring and well led
- Designated Safeguarding Lead, Caldicott Guardian and Accountable Officer for controlled drugs
- Patient and public facing to ensure we deliver services that meet need and are well evaluated
My personal drive is the pursuit of excellence and the best patient experience – compassionate and patient-focused care, delivered by caring, competent and courageous staff. My focus is quality of the patient journey, with a high focus for detail and strong governance.
I am delighted and extremely proud to be leading a team responsible for the delivery of excellent care to our patients and families at one of the most significant and touching times of their lives. A time when often we have only one chance to get it right.