about complementary therapies
Complementary therapies are a range of supportive therapies offered alongside medical treatment.
Many people with life-limiting illnesses use these to help them cope with the disease and the side-effects of treatments.
Some carers (such as a spouse or relative) can also benefit from complementary therapies whilst they are supporting the patient.
The therapies are all carried out by our team of qualified and experienced therapists.
Complementary Therapies may help:
- You to sleep better
- To ease headaches, aches and pains
- To treat side-effects such as nausea, constipation and fatigue
- To reduce stress and encourage relaxation
- To moisturise dry skin
- To increase energy levels
- You to care for yourself and introduce self-help skills and improve your quality of life
Your appointment will usually last between 15-30 minutes.
who we can help
We offer complementary therapies to anyone receiving care from Fair Havens Hospice – whether as an in-patient or out-patient.
What we offer
- Massage is where the muscles and other soft tissues of your body are softly manipulated and kneaded, helping to reduce tension and anxiety. Gentle massage strokes are applied to areas of the face, body, hands or feet. You may need to remove some clothing but are covered with towels at all times.
- Aromatherapy Massage involves gentle massage using essential oils (fragrant oil extracted from plants) which are selected by the aromatherapist to suit the individuals’ needs.
- Reflexology works on the principle that the body is divided into different zones and that each zone links to a particular ‘reflex’ area on your feet and hands. The nerve endings in each zone of the feet or hands are stimulated through pressure, manipulation and gentle massage, using oils. This helps to bring the body back into a state of natural balance, encourages relaxation and promotes circulation.
Hand in Hand & Hand in Hand Too
- Are complementary therapy sessions offered to both patients and their full time carers to attend together to have a treatment at the same time wherever possible.
- These sessions are available to patients or carers who access any support services provided by Fair Havens.
- Hand in Hand is held on the third Tuesday of each month in Day Care from 6pm-9pm.
- Hand in Hand Too is held on the first Thursday of each month in Day Care from 6pm-9pm.
- Both sessions are free of charge however donations to Havens Hospices will be accepted.
- Only pre-booked treatments will be given at present and can be booked via Fair Havens Day Care.
During your first complementary therapy session you will meet one of our therapists to discuss your current situation. She/he will help you to complete some short forms. You will be able to ask any questions you have about the therapy or session.
During a session you may need to remove some of your clothing or footwear. If you do need to undress, towels will be used to cover you at all times. During your session you may wish to lie down or sit up, whichever you prefer.
If you feel unwell during a session please inform the therapist immediately and they will stop the treatment.
how to get in touch
If you are an out-patient you can ring and refer yourself or be referred by any health professional involved in your care. Staff involved in a patients’ care can also refer carers to the service.
Once a referral has been made a member of the team will contact you, but please be aware that due to popularity of this service, there may be a waiting list.